Six types of registration platesThe six types are:
* general vehicles with two plates (cars, trucks etc)
* Vehicles etc with one plate (motorcycles, trailers, tractors, caravans etc)
* Dealer plates are the yellow background ones.
* Diplomatic plates for embasy vehicles
* Personalised plates of various sizes and styles
* overseas visitors plates.
General purpose plates (cars, trucks, vans etc)
The old rego plates with two letters and up to 4 numbers which had a black
background started to be available from July 1st, 1964 and the combinations
were used up by about March 2001.
The current plates with the black letters / numbers and rerflective background started with AAA104 because the ones before it were sold as personalised plates.For more info on the history of New Zealand Licence Plates check out the page on the LTSA website. For more info on Personalased Plates check out www.plates.co.nz or 0800 752 837. For a cheaper alternative to a personalised plate or to enhance one then check out the frames on this website.